Applicants admitted on the basis of an expected baccalaureate or graduate degree must have completed all requirements for that degree prior to the start of classes. University of Connecticut seniors must have completed the baccalaureate prior to the start of classes. Otherwise, they must continue to register as undergraduates, even though admitted to the Graduate School and registering for graduate courses.

Occasionally, a University of Connecticut senior planning to enter the Graduate School has less than a full course load remaining to complete for graduation. Such a student may take advanced courses along with the remaining undergraduate courses and may count those advanced courses toward the graduate degree. Inclusion of up to six credits of such coursework is permissible under the following conditions: (1) the work is completed with grades of “B” or above; (2) the student is later admitted to Regular status in the Graduate School; (3) the work is approved as part of the graduate plan of study; and (4) the student presents a written statement from the Office of the Registrar certifying that the work was not counted toward the baccalaureate degree.

Advance registration and fee payments are accepted on the assumption that students will remain eligible to continue, having met the scholastic standards of the Graduate School and by having complied with its regulations. The following instructions apply to students registering for most courses conducted on the Storrs campus. All degree-seeking students must register for courses using the Student Administration System and pay all fees either through the Bursar’s Office at: or online using the Student Administration System. All course charges (applicable tuition and fees) are due and payable by the close of business on the Friday before the semester starts. Late fees are assessed after that time. Part-time students who are not degree-seeking students must register through the Office of the Registrar at:

Both new and continuing students should make appointments with their major advisors to determine the courses in which they plan to enroll. Dates for registration are contained in the Graduate School’s Academic Calendar. Depending upon course selections, most students should be able to register using the Student Administration System. Problems encountered during registration (including enrollment in restricted courses) may be brought to the Graduate School. Graduate students are permitted to register, to modify their course registrations without penalty, and to pay their fee bills or obtain deferments through the first day of the semester. Graduate students become liable for payment of tuition and other required course-related fees, however, beginning with the Friday before the semester starts whether or not they have attended any classes or have paid their fee bills as of that date.

Continuous Registration

Master’s, doctoral, Sixth-Year in Education, graduate certificate, and post baccalaureate students must begin their programs with coursework and must maintain registration continuously each semester thereafter (except summer sessions) until all requirements for the degree have been completed. Registration may be maintained either by taking coursework for credit or by registering for one of the five non-credit Continuing Registration courses. These include Special Readings at the certificate (GRAD 5997), master’s (GRAD 5998), or doctoral (GRAD 6998) level, Master’s Thesis Preparation (GRAD 5999), and Doctoral Dissertation Preparation (GRAD 6999). Other zero-credit courses may be substituted, if appropriate. Non-credit registration requires payment of University fees.

International students should consult with the office of International Student and Scholar Services prior to registering for zero-credit courses. Per U.S. immigration regulations, students with F-1 and J-1 status are permitted to register for zero-credits only in their final semester of degree study. Continuous Registration is granted with the consent of the student’s major advisor and the student’s international advisor.

Failure to maintain Continuous Registration during the spring and fall semester results in the student’s inactivation. Reinstatement is possible within a year of last registration and payment of all fees. (See “Reinstatement Fee” in the Fees and Expenses section of the catalog). The consequences associated with matriculation via Continuing Registration rather than credit courses are addressed in the “Course Loads” section below.

Neither enrollment for Continuing Registration nor payment for it is required for any semester, during the first ten class days of which the student completes all requirements for a degree, if it is the only degree the student is pursuing.

Any currently matriculated student taking coursework at another institution, either for transfer to a University of Connecticut graduate degree program or for any other reason, must register for Continuing Registration as specified above in any affected semester.

Enrollment in Continuing Registration is not required during the summer. To receive most forms of summer financial aid for study or research, a student must register for either five credits of coursework or one of the full-time research courses, GRAD 5960 (Full-Time Master’s Research) or GRAD 6960 (Full-Time Doctoral Research). For summer registration, permission numbers for GRAD 5960 and 6960 are issued by the Graduate School.

Registration Deadlines

All graduate students registering with the University must have their initial registration in place no later than the close of business of the first day of classes each semester. Additions to and deletions from a student’s class schedule may occur freely throughout the first ten business days of the term. Students who do not complete an initial registration by the close of business of the first day of classes are subject to a late registration fee.

Course Loads

The number of credits and choice of courses for which a student registers is a matter to be discussed by the student and the major advisor. Graduate students may enroll in up to 20-credits per semester. If a student has extenuating circumstances which require them to take more than 20-credits, the major advisor must send a written request to the Graduate School for approval. A student may be classified as a full-time student in one of three ways: (1) enroll in nine or more credits of coursework; (2) enroll in six or more credits of course-work while holding a graduate assistantship (50% or greater); or (3) enroll in one of the four special purpose three credit courses. These courses include GRAD 5960 (Full-Time Master’s Research), GRAD 6960 (Full-Time Doctoral Research), GRAD 5930 (Master’s Level Directed Studies), and GRAD 6930 (Doctoral Level Directed Studies). The former two courses may be taken by students who have completed all requirements for the respective degree except the research component and who have no other obligations at the University (i.e., no other coursework and no graduate assistantship). The latter two courses denote a full-time, off-campus directed project, such as an internship, field work, or other special activity. Students in GRAD 5930 or GRAD 6930 may hold graduate assistantships if those assistantships are in direct support of their studies. Such an assistantship may not be a standard teaching assistantship.

To be classified as three quarter-time, the student’s course credit load must be between 6.75 and 8 credits per semester. To be classified as half-time, the student’s course credit load must be between five and 6.5 credits per semester. A credit load of fewer than five credits per semester is a part-time load. These criteria apply to all registered students at the University. The currently defined Continuing Registration courses (GRAD 5997, 5998, 5999, 6998, and 6999) are zero-credit “place-holder” courses denoting part-time study and do not count toward the credit load requirement for half-time, three quarter-time, or full-time enrollment status. Degree and certificate seeking students who do not need to be certified by the University as holding at least half-time enrollment status may use these courses to maintain registration on a part-time basis.

Students holding graduate assistantships must register for six or more credits per semester. Such students are considered to be full-time students.

In addition to courses offered by each department, a student’s credit load may include GRAD 5950 (Thesis Research), GRAD 6950 (Dissertation Research), and other equivalent research courses defined by the Graduate School, including seminar and other “colloquium” courses that are not part of the plan of study. These variable credit courses carry “S” or “U” (Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory) grading, with the student’s major advisor as the instructor of record.

Auditing Courses

Students who do not wish to register for credit may be permitted to register as auditors under the following conditions: (1) they pay the appropriate tuition and fees for courses; (2) they obtain the consent of the instructor; (3) they audit only courses for which there are adequate classroom or laboratory facilities; and (4) in the case of students in degree programs, they obtain consent from their major advisors. All permissions and registrations for auditing courses must be filed in the Graduate School. Courses audited are entered on the student’s permanent record, but such courses cannot be used toward fulfilling requirements for a graduate degree at the University.

The privileges of an auditor in a course are limited specifically to attending and listening. Auditors must attend class regularly. The auditor assumes no obligation to do any of the work required of the course and is not expected to take any of the instructor’s time. In addition, the auditor does not submit any work, and is neither eligible to take any tests or examinations nor able to receive grades on all or any part of the course.

Students should not “sit-in” on classes for which they do not register as auditors. No audit enrollment request will be approved after the ninth week of the semester.

Repeating Courses

Any student who is regularly registered for courses and who satisfies the requirements shall receive credit except that no student shall receive credit for the same course twice, unless repeating the course is specifically authorized in the Graduate Catalog, as in a variable content course. Courses with the same number that cover the same course content cannot be counted more than once for credit. The parenthetical phrases (“Formerly offered as…”) and (“Also offered as…”) that follow a course description as a cross reference indicate that a student may not take both the course and the cross-referenced course. A student is regularly registered for a course only if that student has conformed to all university or college regulations or requirements when applying to register.

A student may repeat a course previously taken two times without seeking permission in order to earn a higher grade. When a student repeats a course, credit shall be allowed only once. Furthermore, in the computation of the grade point average, the registered credit and grade points for the highest grade shall be included in the GPA calculation and the registered credit and grade for the lower grade shall remain on the transcript, but shall be removed from the GPA calculation.

The student should note that repeating a course that was previously passed can have negative consequences. For example, repeating a previously passed course may have an effect on financial aid. Students considering repeating previously passed courses should consult their advisors and Student Financial Aid Services staff. When a student repeats a course after receiving a degree, the student’s transcript will indicate a grade, but no registered credit, for the repeated course. The grade and registered credit recorded for the course prior to receipt of the degree shall continue to be included in the GPA and credit calculations.

A student must have major advisor permission to repeat a course that is listed as a prerequisite or corequisite for any course that the student has passed. For example, a student who received a “C” in ACCT 5121 and subsequently passed ACCT 5122 may not retake ACCT 5121 without permission.

Adding a Course

After the beginning of a semester or summer session, a student may not add a course if the instructor feels that elapsed time might preclude its successful completion. For degree and certificate seeking students, courses added after the tenth day of a semester or after the fifth day of a summer session term must be submitted to the Graduate School.

Dropping a Course

Discontinuance of attendance or notice to an instructor or to an advisor does not constitute cancellation of course registration, and may result in a failing grade on the student’s permanent record. Before terminating class attendance, the student should ensure that the course has been dropped officially. Until this has been done, the student is obligated to complete all work. No grade is recorded for courses officially dropped, but a mark of “W” is recorded to signify withdrawal from a course after the tenth day of the semester or after the first week of a summer session course. Cancellation of course registration does not automatically drop a course from a plan of study, nor does approved deletion of a course from a plan of study cause cancellation of course registration. The procedures are separate and unrelated.

During the first nine weeks of a semester or prior to the midpoint of a summer session course, a course may be dropped by the following procedure. Students registered directly by the Graduate School at Storrs must file a properly completed and signed Schedule Revision Request form with the Office of the Registrar. This form is available on the Registrar’s website at Non-degree students register and drop courses through the Office of the Registrar at:

After the first nine weeks of a semester or the midpoint of a summer session course, students ordinarily are not allowed to drop a course. If, however, a student must drop a course because of illness or other compelling reason beyond the student’s control, the student must request special permission as early as possible and well before the last day of classes. Permission to drop a course or to change from participant to auditor is granted only for good cause. All students must obtain permission from the Graduate School. Permission is granted only on the major advisor’s written recommendation, which must be convincing and sufficiently specific regarding reasons beyond the control of the student. The recommendation should be accompanied by a properly completed and signed Schedule Revision Request form for the course(s) to be dropped. Students in the M.B.A. programs must obtain permission from the director of the program. Under no circumstances is a student at any location or in any program permitted to drop a course after the course has officially ended.

Dropping all Courses

The general policies and procedures regarding dropping a course (above) apply to dropping all courses, whether the student wishes to remain active in the graduate degree program or to withdraw permanently from it. Permission from the Graduate School is needed for the student either to remain active in the program or to leave in good standing. No refund is possible unless all coursework for credit is dropped.