The Graduate School processes applications for all graduate programs, including all graduate degree, certificate, sixth-year diploma, and post-baccalaureate programs, with the exception of the Master of Business Administration (MBA) program and programs at the School of Dental Medicine, School of Law, and School of Medicine. Students who meet requirements outlined below may apply to any of the “Graduate Degree and Certificate Programs” listed in the previous section by going to Students may earn a graduate degree or certificate only in a program to which they have been admitted.

Graduate Degree Programs

Ordinarily, a student is granted admission to pursue a graduate degree in one field at a time. A student may be permitted to enroll concurrently in two different degree programs with approval of their advisors in both programs. There are several approved dual degree programs providing the opportunity for the student to pursue work toward two degrees simultaneously. These programs often involve the sharing of a limited and specified number of course credits between the two degrees. In all cases, separate applications must be filed for each of the two degree programs.

To be admitted to regular status and to begin studies, an applicant must hold a baccalaureate from a regionally accredited college or university or present evidence of the equivalent. The applicant must submit official transcripts covering all previous work, undergraduate and graduate, which must be of at least the following quality: a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 for the entire undergraduate record, or 3.0 for the last two years of full-time coursework, or 3.5 GPA or higher in the entire final year of coursework prior to application to the Graduate School. The grade point average is computed on the following scale: “A” = 4.0, “B” = 3.0, “C” = 2.0, “D” = 1.0, “F” = 0. Applicants from international colleges and universities must meet equivalent standards of eligibility and are expected to submit official transcripts showing all work completed. All advanced post-baccalaureate coursework is considered as well. Failure to send transcripts from all educational institutions, regardless of whether or not a degree was received, may be grounds for cancellation of admission.

In addition to the above requirements, individual programs typically have additional requirements and specify what must be submitted at the time of application. Applicants to most programs are encouraged to submit test scores from the General Test of the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) directly to the Graduate School. Letters of recommendation, usually three, preferably from members of the academic profession, are required by most departments. Prospective students should check with the program to which they are applying for specific application requirements. However, meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. Applicants must show promise of superior achievement and must have specific preparation for the course of study they wish to undertake. If their records indicate deficiencies, applicants may be refused admission or be required either to take background courses without graduate credit or to demonstrate by examination that they have acquired the requisite knowledge or skills for graduate study. In addition, since each graduate program has a limited number of places, the successful applicant must have a record competitive with those of other applicants in the same field.

Regular and Provisional Status

Application procedures and required credentials for admission to regular status are specified above. Occasionally, students who hold the baccalaureate but do not qualify fully for admission to regular status may give sufficient evidence of ability in their chosen field to warrant their provisional admission to a master’s degree program only. (Applicants are not admitted provisionally to a doctoral program). Students who require F-1 or J-1 visa sponsorship are not eligible for provisional admission. Students admitted provisionally must have a cumulative baccalaureate grade point average of 2.6 or higher. If a provisional student’s initial 12 credits of completed coursework (excluding 1000-level courses) meet the minimum scholastic requirement of the Graduate School, the student is accorded regular status. Otherwise, the student is subject to dismissal. In situations where special consideration is warranted, and only upon the specific request of the major advisor, the Dean of the Graduate School may approve changing a student to regular status if at least nine credits of advanced coursework have been completed with grades of “A+,” “A,” or “A-.” Regular, not provisional, status is required for degree conferral.

Language-Conditional Status

Students whose native language is not English, regardless of visa status, must show evidence of proficiency in the English language by having earned either an Internet-based (IBT) TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of at least 79 or a Paper-based (PBT) TOEFL score of at least 550, an overall band score of 6.5 or greater on the IELTS Academic Module (International English Language Testing System), or an overall score of 53 or greater on the PTE (Pearson Test of English) Academic test. Some departments also require the Test of Spoken English (TSE) or the Test of Written English (TWE).

International graduate applicants whose English language proficiency does not meet the minimum standards necessary to qualify for regular admission may be admitted as Language-Conditional Students. Applicants will have 12 months to meet the language requirement by receiving a Certificate of English Proficiency from UCAELI (University of Connecticut American English Language Institute) and/or receiving a passing English proficiency score.

Students who are not native English speakers but expect to hold teaching assistantships must also satisfy the University’s English Proficiency Policy (available at before being allowed direct instructional contact. This policy applies to all prospective teaching assistants, regardless of citizenship or visa status.

Post-Baccalaureate and Certificate Programs

The University of Connecticut offers two types of certificate programs: graduate certificates and post-baccalaureate certificates. Graduate certificate programs consist entirely of graduate courses (those numbered 5000 or above). Post-baccalaureate certificate programs consist either entirely of undergraduate courses (those numbered 1000-4999) or of a mixture of undergraduate and graduate courses. A certificate can be earned either as a “stand-alone” certificate (without simultaneous enrollment in a degree program) or while simultaneously pursuing a graduate degree.

To earn a certificate, students must first apply for admission to a certificate program through the Graduate School and must then satisfy the requirements of the certificate program to which they have been admitted. This applies to both external applicants and currently matriculated students who wish to pursue a certificate along with a graduate degree.

To be admitted to a certificate program, an applicant must hold an earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university or present evidence of the equivalent. Some certificate programs may require applicants to hold an advanced degree prior to admission. As for admission to degree programs, the applicant must submit official transcripts covering all previous work, undergraduate and graduate, which must be of at least the following quality: a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 for the entire undergraduate record, or 3.0 GPA for the last two years of full-time coursework, or 3.5 GPA or higher in the entire final year of coursework prior to application to the certificate program. Non-degree students may take up to six credits before being formally admitted to a University of Connecticut certificate program. Students may not use courses completed at other institutions to satisfy requirements of a University of Connecticut certificate program. Currently matriculated University of Connecticut students must apply for admission to a certificate program in a term before all of the required courses are complete. If a student earns a certificate and is subsequently admitted to a related graduate degree program, all credits from the certificate may be counted toward the graduate degree, subject to the approval of graduate program faculty in that area of concentration. The terminal date associated with the degree will be determined using the date of the first certificate class as the initial date of enrollment for the degree.

Occasionally, students who hold a baccalaureate degree but do not qualify for admission to a certificate program may be granted provisional admission, based on a recommendation from the program. Students admitted provisionally must have a cumulative bachelor’s grade point average (GPA) of 2.6 or higher. If such a student does not meet the minimum academic standards of the Graduate School after completing three credits, the student is subject to dismissal and will be allowed to enroll only upon recommendation from the program.

Non-Degree Study

Individuals with appropriate preparation who have not been admitted to any of the admissions categories described above may take courses as non-degree students. All non-degree students are presumed to be taking courses for reasons other than earning a certificate, sixth-year diploma in professional education, or a graduate degree at the University. Should they later be admitted to a graduate degree, certificate, or sixth-year diploma in a professional education program at the University, limited credits will be acceptable toward the degree. Credits accepted toward a graduate degree must be of “B-” quality or higher. For further information regarding Registration for non-degree coursework, contact the Office of the Registrar at or 860-486-3331.

Transfer Credits

No coursework taken before the date of admission to the Graduate School may be used to meet program requirements for a graduate degree unless specific approval has been granted by the student’s major advisor and the Dean of the Graduate School. In addition, credits taken prior to enrollment in a given program, whether taken at the University of Connecticut or elsewhere, must be of “B-“ quality or higher to be accepted as transfer credits and used to meet program requirements. Individual programs may set higher standards for accepting transfer credits. Notwithstanding this minimum grade requirement, satisfactory grades on a University of Connecticut transcript graded on an S/U basis can be accepted as transfer credits.

Admission of University Faculty

University of Connecticut faculty members who hold tenure or a rank higher than instructor leading to tenure ordinarily may not earn a graduate degree at this institution. Exceptions to this policy may be made by the Dean of the Graduate School, with the advice of the Executive Committee of the Graduate Faculty Council.

New England Regional Student Program

The University of Connecticut participates in the New England Regional Student Program, a regional program administered by the New England Board of Higher Education. The program permits qualified residents of the New England states to study with reduced out-of-state tuition privileges. The purpose of the program is to expand opportunities in higher education for New England residents by making available on a substantially equal basis to all students those programs not commonly offered at every institution. This practice tends to reduce duplication of courses and thus to utilize most efficiently the higher educational facilities in each state. Detailed information about this program can be obtained from the New England Board of Higher Education, 45 Temple Place, Boston, MA 02111, or at

Application Processing Fee

A non-refundable fee of $75 must accompany the application. It may not be applied toward other charges. This fee must accompany every application submitted. The fee is waived for a student applying to a doctoral degree program to immediately follow a master’s degree program in the same field at the University, current University graduate students applying to a certificate program, and current University Scholars applying to a master’s program. (Fees are subject to change without notice.)


Application deadlines vary across programs. Applicants should check with appropriate academic departments concerning deadlines, and they are advised to submit their applications for admission as early as possible. At a minimum, applicants should file the application for admission several months in advance of the first semester of coursework.

Students must be admitted and accept admission one month prior to the first day of classes for that term. Some programs may have earlier acceptance deadlines.

To study for a graduate degree, a student must be matriculated by the Dean of the Graduate School before the first day of classes in the student’s admitted term. All credentials, including official transcripts covering all undergraduate and graduate work taken up to the time of application, as well as the non-refundable application processing fee, must be received by the Graduate School by deadline dates to be matriculated.

Students must arrive on campus on or before the first day of classes in their admitted term. Failure to meet these conditions may cause:

  • A delay in stipend payments and a loss or reduction of tuition waiver benefits for students holding a graduate assistantship; and
  • A delay of enrollment in a degree program until the following semester.

Admission will be cancelled if a student does not register for coursework in the semester or summer term to which they have been admitted. If this occurs, the student must reapply for admission with no certainty of being accepted. Students can request a deferral of admission for up to one year after their initial application term from the program to which they were admitted. These requests will be reviewed by the Graduate School.

Supplementary and Departmental Transcripts

If a student is admitted before completing a baccalaureate or graduate degree or additional non-degree coursework that is in progress at the time of application, the student will not be permitted to register in future semesters prior to the completion of the degree or coursework and the submission of the official transcripts to the Graduate School. (This applies to all courses except courses taken at the University of Connecticut). Students must submit official transcripts by the end of the first semester of study. Until all transcripts have been received, the plan of study will not be approved. All transcripts submitted, including test scores, become the property of the Graduate School and are not returnable.